BEC初级口语练习:CubicleDecor
陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作。他中午去吃饭,正好遇到美国同事Amy。
(Office ambience)
C:Amy, 你去吃饭吗?
A:As a matter of fact, I am.
C:我准备到楼下的商店去随便买个汉堡。一起去吧?
A:OK. I am looking for a quick bite myself. Iwould be delighted to join you.
C:我刚好有个问题要请教你。
A:What is it?
C:现在很多人都在格间里工作,我还记得你告诉过我,工作时应该尽量设法不要影响到别人。
A:Right. We have discussed keeping your voice down in your cubicle, not using a speakerphone or holding a meeting in your cube.
C:对,除了声音不要太大以外,还有不要吃味道特别重的食物。不过Amy,我最近还注意到了另外一个问题。
A:I’m interested to hear what it is.
C:主要是个人对工作格间的装饰。I call it "cubicle decor."
A:Here we are at the sandwich shop. Let’s get seated and then continue ourconversation.
******
陈豪和Amy坐下吃饭。
A:You were talking about cubicle décor. What do you mean?
C:有人的格间很整齐,没有任何私人物品,但有的人却好像是把家都搬来了。
A:Can you be more specific?
C:他们的工作间里到处是家人的照片、小装饰品、孩子的手工作品、出去玩买的纪念品,还有各种奖状。
A:That bothers you?
C:我确实觉得有点儿过份。
A:Well, I agree with you. People need to add a personal touch to their office or cubiclewithout overdoing it.
C:我觉得应该定个规矩,一律不许用私人物品来装饰办公室?
A:I disagree. Putting personal touches around your desk reveals a dimension of yourpersonality to your co-workers and associates. It’s as important as small talk in the office.
C:这么说也有道理,其实我就挺喜欢看同事们桌子上的照片的。但是你不觉得应该适当控制一下吗?
A:People need to understand the limits of how much memorabilia to display as well aswhat is appropriate.
C:那你觉得什么样的限制比较合理呢?
A:Keep the number of family photos to one or two, no more than 5x7 inches each. Displaya favorite art piece, knick-knack or a plague that expresses a personal philosophy, but not acollection.
C:你的意思是可以放一、两张5x7的照片,外加一件小装饰品。还有些同事喜欢在办公室里养花,你觉得合适吗?
A:It’s OK to add a live plant or two. The bottom line is to make your work area represent you without diminishing your professionalism.